Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Victoria Pittman

One of the other teachers at the international calligraphy conference was Victoria Pittman who just gave us a little heads-up here. She has posted photos of some of the work from her week-long class on "Flowers and Flourishes", using broad-edge brush techniques in watercolor, and incorporating lettering.

Her piece in the faculty show (similar to another she has just posted) was a dramatic assemblage including a calligraphic, gestural sort of... object. Maybe made of acrylic, I'm thinking. We had a fun collage class with her some years ago at the Siena Center in Racine, where she showed us wildly mixed media techniques, building up layers of materials, various metal-leafing and patinas. During our breaks in that class she got us down on the lakefront picking up bits of rusted metal to incorporate into assemblages. There's treasure everywhere!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comments JL.

    That was a fun class in Wisconsin. I remember those wonderful rusty bits..I still have a few in my stash.

    I mostly remember my daughter Johanna being with me...ostensibly as my helper...but being her first year away at college and on Spring Break, she slept through most of it!
    I've put a link to you on my blog and have been trying to add a post with information too but now my blog is locked for some reason.
    Hopefully it will be up and running in a few days as they promise and I can try again.

    V

    ReplyDelete