Friday, May 11, 2007

Artists help each other

I collect quotes, mostly to incorporate into a piece of art--calligraphers need words! I also have a collection of quotes for when I need validation, that encouragement when I'm in the dumpers. There are times when I question what I do. What do I have to say that hasn't already been said? Is it necessary to say something new or just say it differently? I struggle with art, not the execution per se, but what am I going to say? Right now I'm in a horrible dry spell that has been months and months long. These times are horribly scary. I believe it will pass, but I also believe that it is necessary to struggle through it. Show up and do the work. Here are a couple of quotes that I just found.... I hope they are encouraging to you too, we need to be there for each other.

In order to make truly personal work,
one has to struggle with intent and content as well as with techniques.
And technique is the easiest thing to learn in art.
Gabriella Morrison

The creative is the place where
no one else has ever been.
You have to leave the city of your comfort
and go into the wilderness of your intuition.
You can’t get there by bus,
only by hard work and risk,
and by not quite knowing what you are doing.
What you will discover will be wonderful.
What you discover will be yourself.
Alan Alda

No comments:

Post a Comment